Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Fringe Tree

A Fringe Tree in Bloom against a backdrop of other trees in the Gardens. You may know this plant as an "Old Man's Beard" or "Grancy Graybeard." It also is known as "Chionanthus Virginicus."
I can not state when I first saw this lovely flowering tree which is usually seen in rural area off of the back roads, but I do know that I first saw this plant in full bloom in a yard in rural Georgia as I traveled to visit my Bride's Aunt in Danville, Georgia. Several years later I learned the name as "Grancy Graybeard." I finally acquired one tree several years ago and it always blooms the second or third week of April. It is not a fast grower but it is a very interesting tree with lovely looking fringe. It does well in full sun and I have been told that it will also thrive in part shade.
A great focal point in April and it then takes a back seat in the landscape. It does loose it's leaves in the Winter.

No comments: