Monday, March 15, 2010

Lenten Rose Planting and Care
During the past years I have given many Lenten Rose Plants away, without really giving much thought as to providing Planting and Care Instruction. Today I will attempt to provide information on what has allowed me to enjoy these plants.
First of all I select a planting site that is very much like an area where Camellias thrive. Lenten Roses like the same type shade.
When I plant them I prepare a mix of 1/3 fine pine bark much, 1/3 sand and 1/3 garden soil. The soil where I live is more clay than any type of loam mixture. I put about one gallon of this mixture into a hole and then place the lenten rose plant in the mixture. Of course I am a firm believer of mulch which can be pine straw or leaves from the trees that abound in my Gardens.
Depending on the weather I make sure that they have adquate water, but that is not usually a problem here in Middle Georgia. About two or three times a Summer season I will feed the ferns and the lenten roses in the shade gardens behind the house with a hose end sprayer using any of the available plant foods sold for foliage feeding.
I appreciate lenten roses because the local deer population do not consume them.

No comments: