Friday, April 10, 2015


Creating Beauty
Recently we had to have two large trees removed because they were dangerous.  Dangerous because they were dead.

This left a space in the Garden that presented a challenge.  I recently read in "The National Gardener" Spring 2015 issue that 2015 is "The Year of the Coleus."  Because the location was now going to receive plenty of Sun shine I selected plants that would be suitable for this location.  I did not acquire only Coleus, but decided to have a selection of plants that hopefully will perform well. 

Indian Feather "Passionate Rainbow" is listed as
a perennial.  It likes full sun and will grown to
18 inches tall.  The bloom time is Midsummer to
Autumn.  Hardy to 0 degrees F.  Hardiness Zone:
7-10

May Night Salvia also listed as a perennial.  It likes
ful sun and will grown 18 inches tall and 18 inches
wide.  The bloom time is Spring, Summer and
Fall.  This fast grower is hardy to - 40 degrees F.

Bush Daisy is an annual.  It likes full sun which
according to the label is 8+ hours of full sun.
It will grown to 36 inches tall by 24 inches wide.
It has a medium growth rate and is not Winter
Hardy.  It cannot live below freezing.  It
requires the removal of spent blooms and
requires Spring and Summer fertilization.

"Red Ruffles" Coleus.  Plant in sun.  It grows
to 10-15 inches tall.  

Alabama Sunset Coleus.  Plant in sun and it grows 10-15
inches tall.
 The article I read in "The National Gardener" stressed that Coleus with the word "sun" in the name were appropriate for full sun.  Additionally, dark colored Coleus, when labeled for full sun would also do well in very sunny locations.  The two selections that I acquired met these requirements.  

Prior to my plant acquisition I had already
dug the holes.  This was earlier in the day
and allowed me to have them dug before
the heat of the afternoon arrived.  


By pre-digging the holes I was also able to
determine the amount of "Garden Soil" I
would need to fill  all of the twenty-two holes
for the plants I planned to purchase.
 The four pictures which follow show the completed project.  I am hopeful that the plants will thrive and it is my plan to post progress reports this Spring, Summer and Fall to show how this garden performs.  




I will always remember the 4-H motto "To Learn By Doing" as I accomplish my various Gardening Projects. 

No comments: