Friday, October 23, 2009

Fall Beauty
Preparing for Winter


These close up photographs of the Fatsia Blooms are shared here because I have never had seen this bloom. These plants are in four foot tall planters with a Southern exposure here in Macon, Georgia. This will be their second Winter and they remained out of doors last Winter with no damage.
The Gardens here are in a tree sheltered situation so I suspect that they will endure cold temperatures more efficiently than plants in planters in a landscape without trees.


No Fall Garden is complete without the lovely Confederate Rose. This pink bloom was just waiting to be photographed.



Frequent visitors to this Blog will know that I enjoy the "Angel Trumpet" plant. This one is in full flower here in late October. It is in the landscape on the East Side of our home in a wind sheltered area. I always cut these plants down to the soil line just before a frost. I collect about a dozen cuttings of the stems about ten inches long. I root them in water over the Winter in the Garage. The garage is not heated, but it is warm enough that these plants do not freeze. I also maintain the "Angel Trumpet Mother Plant" in a sixteen inch planter which I Winter over each year in the garage just in case we have a severe Winter.
I have been enjoying this beautiful plant in our landscape here in Middle Georgia for about eight years now.
As I visited the East Gardens I noted that the one Yuletide Camellia that we have is setting a plethora of buds which will soon become beautiful Flowers. I will share photographs here when they start blooming.
As we anticipate cooler weather it is prudent to think about plant protection for the upcoming Winter Season. Sometimes I wonder if the labor of toting the planters in and out from the garage is worth it, only to remember that the beauty that I enjoy makes it all well worth while.
Enjoy the Fall Season. Soon the Burning Bushes and other Fall Shrubs will be in full beauty.





No comments: