Wednesday, May 4, 2016

May Garden Projects



Garden Work
Middle Georgia

The weather in recent days has been very cooperative with gentile rains and mild temperatures.  So, It is time to accomplish those gardening task that need to be accomplished before it gets too dry and/or too warm.

My Bride pruned back the Azaleas that flank the front entrance.  These are on the left side with the Azaleas on the right side yet to be pruned.  This pruning must be accomplished before the buds for the Spring 2017 blooms start to set which can normally happen during the last week of June or the first weeks of July.






This is a Corkscrew Rush which I acquired with funds I was given for my volunteer photography at the recent Volunteer Luncheon which honored the many volunteers that give of their time and talents to Keep Macon-Bibb Beautiful.  I also purchased the colorful planter with these funds.




This is a Fountain Grass named "Pennisetum  salvena "Fireworks"  I also place several in the ground.  This plant should thrive in sun to part shade. 

I placed two of these plants in pots which are on the ends of the steps to the back garden.  It is a Bacopa plant which also is reported to thrive in sun to part shade.

 These two views are Caladiums which I placed under the Tea Olives and full shade.  They add a bit of cool color and interest to an area where there were no other plants.




 The plants I selected for the six planters that decorate the front steps are:  Chrysogonum virginianum (with the yellow blooms) and Dead Nettle known as "White Nancy."  They are reported to thrive in part shade with some sun light. 


 Because of the poor soil I always use garden soil available at plant stores and nurseries to give the plants an opportunity to thrive.



No comments: